Sunday, April 29, 2012

Quick and Easy Gyros

So, if you hear the phrase "Quick and Easy Gyros" you are probably thinking I'm crazy, cause authentic Gyros are neither quick or easy.  Well, I'm not crazy, I just cheated a little bit.  I do not own a vertical spit, and leg of lamb is not my usual meat I pick up from the grocery store. (I'm sure you can relate!)
I can assure you that this recipe is just as delicious as the real thing, but sooo much simpler!
Here is what you will need:

Serves two

For the Gyro filling:
1/2 TBSP olive oil
4 oz high quality deli sliced roast beef (I used  3/4 lb, cause I wanted extra for later) 
3 drops Worcestershire sauce
2 dashes lemon pepper (I used 1/2 TSP)
1 dash paprika (again, I used 1/2 TSP)
1 TSP garlic powder
3 dashes black pepper (for mine, 1/2 TSP was good)

For the Tzatziki sauce:
1 whole cucumber, divided
8oz plain Greek yogurt (I like Greek Gods)
1/2 medium sized red onion, divided
1 TSP white wine vinegar (I used red wine vinegar cause I was all out of white, it was just as good)
1/TSP fresh dill
1/2 TSP salt

For assembly:
2 slices of any flat bread of your choice, ( you can always use you own pitas, made with my recipe listed below this one)
1 whole medium tomato, sliced, or chopped whichever you prefer
Feta cheese crumbles
Black or kalamta olives, sliced
Lettuce or baby spinach

Preparation:



For the filling:
Slice your roast beef into 1" strips, then cut down middle, cutting them in half length ways. (This probably looks like a lot of meat, but it isn't really that much after you cook it, and its so good you are gonna wanna pile it on!)



  Add your beef to a heated skillet over medium high heat with olive oil, worcestershire sauce and your seasonings.  Stir, then reduce heat to low and cook while you are preparing you Tzatziki sauce.



For the Tzatziki Sauce:
Finley dice half your cucumber and red onion.  Add your iced cucumber and 1/4 of your red to a bowl.  Add the vinegar, dill, salt, and a dash of garlic powder.  Stir to combine.

Once you are done with your sauce, remove your beef from heat.  It should be browned and caramel-y looking, but not crispy. 


Now, heat your flat bread either in the microwave for about 20sec, or in the oven.  Next, just assemble your Gyros. I did meat, Tzatziki sauce, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, and cheese.  I forgot the about the olives until after I had already devoured mine.  If you don't like feta, you could always use goat cheese too.  Its not salty, but still creamy and delicious.  I put lettuce on mine, but you could do spinach too.


I hope you enjoy these as much as I did!

Recipe adapted from tastykitchen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment